Monday, January 10, 2011

Chasing Valerie Bertinelli: My Quest for Mediocrity

One of the fun subtexts of my 2010 Marathon was getting home later in the day to read the text messages and emails from friends and relatives who were tracking my progress online. It tracked my performance perfectly and here are some of my favorites...

"Tom, you're doing great. You are on a 4:50 pace and are 12 minutes ahead of Valerie Bertinelli.... keep it up!!" - at the halfway point 13 miles in Natick.

"Hey, thought something happened to you but glad to see you passed the 30K mark... you are still 6 minutes ahead of Valerie, keep going!!"

"Hey, text or call me if you are running into trouble. I can come pick you up... LOL Did something happen to you on the hills... only 6 miles to go. Valerie is gaining on you"

"Hey, did you see Valerie Bertinelli, I think she passed you a mile ago, did you get her autograph?"


Yeah. Her and the juggler's and the giant hamburger. I got all their autographs.

Now some 7 months removed from my initial foray as a charity runner for the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge at the Boston Marathon, I never did see Ms. Bertinelli on course. Of course I was bleary eyed and if she ran by me naked after mile 22, I doubt I would've noticed (sorry Valerie). But there's always THIS year.

I started my training and did my first group run this past Sunday yesterday. It was good in so many ways - there is a very strong communal spirit among the Dana Farber runners and it was great to meet the new people - Matt, Tom, Beth and a woman from Billerica now in Charlestown named Kristie (sp?) who had the misfortune to follow me back to start after I made the wrong turn on Soldier's Field instead of Arsenal Street. Sorry Kristie!! We have a great team and it was inspiring to hear people's stories and why they are running, so many for the first time, like me last year.

I have come to the realization that I will never be a great long distance runner, but I enjoy it nonetheless and I guess my quest for mediocrity can still be a personal goal as I try to train and run the race better and to raise as many funds possible for this ever worthy charity. I will update the blog more faithfully this year and hope it is as enjoyable to some as it is cathartic to write and as I enjoy my fellow runner's blogs. Here's to a successful 2011 and everyone's quest for (something greater than) mediocrity!!

2 comments:

  1. Ah but Valerie flamed out after one run and YOU are back for more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie Bertinelli is truly one of the most impressive 50 year old actresses formerly married to a rock guitar God runners that there is! You have nothing to be ashamed of. Keep up the good work Fitz. We'll be monitoring you again this year in your quest! Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete